– Promoting harmony through class management and mediation techniques
to reduce early school leaving
Topic/ theme: classroom management, conflict management, mediation
This course is structured on 7 days of work. At your request, the courses can be structured for a different schedule (5 or 9 training days).
Sending partners: educational organizations involved in formal, non-formal and informal learning: schools, adult training centers, resource centers and other relevant organization active in the adult education field established in Erasmus+ program countries.
Participants: 20-25 adults involved in education
Course fee: According to the Erasmus+ guide, including course preparation, training, training materials, administration costs, organizational costs and 24 hours emergency support.
Trainers: multinational team of trainers – Portuguese, Romanian and Maltese, SALTO affiliated, with specialization courses in more than 15 European countries.
Languages used: English, Portuguese, Spanish, French. The training materials will be provided in English. On request, Spanish and French.
Profile of the participants:
The participants are teachers or adult trainers active in the sending organization interested in growing a creative and intercultural environment in their institutions, with or without previous experience, willing to develop themselves professionally not only through the course, but by involving themselves in preparatory and follow up activities. They must be interested in other cultures and in developing the institution’s European dimension.
- to develop the participants communication and empathical skills
- to promote the use mediation and negotiation tools
- to share best practices and transfer practical knowledge on classroom management between different cultural zones (at least 3 countries)
- to rise the participants awareness of their own style in the classroom and to enhance their natural abilities in giving positive feedback and
- to develop the participants competences of ensuring harmonious group building and transforming the class as a group into a team by usage of non-formal group dynamics
- to enable participants to find at least 3 methods and techniques for their own context
- to increase participants’ confidence in their international cooperation skills and communication strategies on an institutional level
- to promote European cooperation in the field of education within the framework of the Erasmus+ program by partnership building
Most of the educational approaches are inspired from constructivist pedagogy. The project has a holistic approach and uses various tools during the different activities.
Modules of the training course:
|Days||Module||Details of activities and methodology|
|Days 1,2||Culture and interculturality||Intercultural games. Working in an international project – how to communicate and connect.
Team building: working with colleagues and students– practical exercises followed by a debate
Stereotypes and prejudices in the classroom
Cultural Isla – project tour exploring exterior manifestations of positive and collaborative relations in education
|Day 3||Communication||Communication (assertive, aggressive, passive)Stakeholders in classroom management.
Games, methods and tools for improving communication.
Non-verbal communication in the work environment.
Students: expectations, profile, communicating – debate
|Day 4||Conflict management||Approaches to conflict.Basics: Understanding the problem.
Conflict handling styles.
Conflict in the classroom – forum theatre method.
|Day 5||Mediation||Introduction to mediation.
Mediation and negotiation: differences in the approaches.
Mediation experiences: world café method
Role play: mediation
|Days 6||Group dynamics for transforming a group into a team; good practice examples||Intra and inter group dynamics. Tools for working with groups, group building activities.
Working with stakeholders: Dissemination of previous European projects made by all partners.
Study visit to a local institution which is implementing European projects.
|Day 7||Evaluation||Dissemination and valorization activities planning. Using European certification tools: Europass Mobility certificate, upgrading the Europass Language Passport and Europass Skills Passport
Project evaluation. Certification ceremony.